MAC version?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MAC version?

Post by jilltre on Wed May 26, 2010 11:26 pm

It would be great if you had a MAC version of this.. especially now that OWA 2010 supports the Safari browser in MACs... I use an Apple computer and have windows bootcamped... and go back and forth between the two operating systems for the work I do.. the notification pop up is way convenient for me to keep tabs of email instead of popping up the browser every few minutes to check for mail...

Jill

jilltre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MAC version?

Post by admin on Thu May 27, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Jill, thanks for your support.

This is an interesting one. Obviously if I could get OWAtray running on Mono then a Mac &
Linux version would be possible. I have run the code through a Mono analysis tool and there are various issues that would need addressed.

• Snarl would need to be removed as it is wouldn't work on Mono. Trivial.[/*Ⓜuk2p3]
  • Remove the functions under the Tools menu which are Windows-specific. Trivial.[/*Ⓜuk2p3]
  • Remove the Sound notification option which calls a Windows API. Trivial.[/*Ⓜuk2p3]
  • Remove the Run at Startup option. Trivial.[/*Ⓜuk2p3]
  • Remove ability to start Outlook. Trivial.[/*Ⓜuk2p3]
  • GUI issues. There may be minor issues with porting the GUI. Unknown.[/*Ⓜuk2p3]

That's all fine and I would be willing to do this.

--HOWEVER--

The EWS library is incompatible with Mono at present as it uses ActiveDirectory and DNS calls which have not yet been implemented. I would imagine once Mono 3.0 is released this will be resolved.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this.
admin
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

View user profile http://www.owatray.com

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on Thu May 27, 2010 2:26 pm

OK, update.

I have a slightly modified (see previous post) version of OWAtray running through Mono on Ubuntu 10.04

EXCEPT...
It doesn't do anything useful as the EWS library throws various exceptions when trying to connect to Exchange.
Still... encouraging.

As I thought the visuals will need tweaked slightly, but out of the box, it's a terrific first impression. Mono very much rocks.

We shall reconvene on this when Mono 3.0 appears.
admin
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Back to top Go down

Post by goran on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:36 pm

I'll be definitely waiting for the mono-compatible version ;<br />)
this program is great!

I don't know very much about programming so please take this suggestion with a grain of salt, maybe it's something really stupid... but to try avoiding the EWS library, you can do some sort of screen scrapping directly on the main "
Inbox"
window...
It seems that each message is contained within a table, and unread messages can be easily identified by the "
icon-msg-unread.gif"
icon... (thanks firebug!), at least in my company's owa
I know it's a brute-force option with very limited functionality (e.g. no appointments' alerts) but.... for a very simple and cross-platform owa notifier... could be an option

goran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Hey, Goran, everything is possible but I don't fancy going down that track. One of the things that makes OWAtray different is it is small, specific and neat;
I'd rather keep it that way.
admin
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top