Only works offsite

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Only works offsite

Post by deaxes on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

I'm currently at a college that uses OWA with Exchange 2007. OWA Tray only seems to work when I'm off campus (home, hotel, etc) but not on campus. When I'm on campus, I get a 401 Unauthorized error. I've tried changing my DNS servers (OpenDNS) without improvement.
I know that they use Forms based auth and I can get any info from the About page in OWA. I'm pretty sure the school's IT helpdesk won't help as they want OWA access only. Any suggestions?

deaxes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Only works offsite

Post by deaxes on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:27 am

Almost forgot a few things.

I don't think I'm on the domain, which probably means I'm not.
The login is setup like this: firstname.lastname@domain
domain is schoolname.edu
I've tried both using full login with the domain textbox blank and just firstname.lastname with the domain in the textbox.

deaxes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

The Server Address is frequently different when inside &
outside the LAN. For instance, an external address may be of the form, 'mail.company.com' whereas on the LAN this will likely not work (unless your sysadmin has configured DNS accordingly) and may be more commonly of the form, 'nameofmailserver'.

Do you have Outlook configured on the LAN? Can you have a look at the connection settings and see what it is using for the mail server.

Lastly, it may be as simple as switching on the 'On Domain' checkbox which will force OWAtray to use the logon credentials.

Let me know how things go.
admin
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

View user profile http://www.owatray.com

Back to top Go down

Post by deaxes on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Sorry for not getting back;
my personal life became insane in the last few months.
Anyway, I found that it definably works offsite, so I setup the DNS server to OpenDNS. I originally thought that didn't work because it takes a few hours for the DNS change to take. I don't personally have Outlook access, as they only set that up for staff of my university, and as a lowly student, for "
security reasons,"
I'm not allowed to have outlook access or any access other than through the OWA interface.

I looked into it more deeply - the internal DNS entry somehow doesn't work unless its from a browser. Something to do with what URL it came from. Also when I looked up the IP address using DNSstuff's free tools and entered it into my browser, it came back to 403 error page. The error specifically says"
Error Code: 403 Forbidden. The server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). Contact the server administrator. (12202) "
I think they have a server doing more than one thing, having one DNS entry be to one application on the server and so forth.

Anyway thanks and keep up the good work,

deaxes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:52 pm

If you come up with any more clues that may help narrow this down then post them up here.
admin
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

View user profile http://www.owatray.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top